These delicious Cacao Spirulina Bliss Balls are perfect for those sweet tooth moments or when you’re need of a little extra energy. They can be ready to eat just a few minutes and you’ll have a healthy go-to snack to keep in your fridge for the whole week.
Spirulina is a blue-green aglae that grows in both fresh and salt water. It’s incredibly high in nutrients which makes it a perfect superfood to supplement your diet with.
Rich in B vitamins, protein and minerals, it’s pretty well known these days as a great addition to your diet to help increase energy. It’s also apparently really good for increasing the health of red blood cells, making it really effective against anemia.
It’s also brilliant for adding to your smoothies or stirring into a juice for some added nutrients. Though I wouldn’t put in more than the usual recommended 1 teaspoon as it overpower the taste of the drink slightly.
I love using it in anything I’m making to snack on, especially energy balls. And if you don’t like the taste of Spirulina but want the benefits this recipe is perfect because you can’t really tell it’s in there as it blends so well with the other ingredients.
All you need to make these with is a food processor.
- 2 c / 200g Walnuts
- 8-10 Medjool Dates (pitted)
- 3 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 2 tsp Spirulina Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Extra Cacao Powder for dusting
- First grind the Walnuts down in a food processor for a few seconds.
- Add the pitted Dates and process again until the mixture starts to stick together when pressed between your fingers. Add more dates if not sticky enough.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process again until well blended.
- Taste to see if you need more Cacao to your liking.
- Roll the dough out into equal size balls. I can usually make between 16-18 from of this recipe.
- Place on a plate and dust with extra Cacao powder before placing in the fridge for at least an hour to set.
These will store in the freezer for up to 2 months.