This is a dream of a cake to make for any occasion, afternoon tea, or simply because you love Carrot Cake and want a vegan version that’s both healthy and delicious.
This recipe is taken from the “Sweet” night my very recent 4 week plant based Autumn Comfort course, and it was loved by all.
The zingy freshness of whole Orange adds such a lovely fresh, citrus taste to this cake, as well as giving you an added boost of vitamin C. Perfect for your immune system as we head into winter!
A slice of this could be described as massively substantial. That’s because it is made from natural, whole foods, lots of nuts and dried fruits. Like most raw cakes, expect it to be heavier than your usual “flour and eggs and refined sugar” type of cake. Meaning, it will go a lot further!
The lusciously smooth, orange-cream topping is what makes me smile the most when I think of eating this 🙂
A note about Nuts: You will be soaking the cashews for 2 hours prior to making the frosting, which makes them easier to process, but also easier to digest. If you generally have issues digesting nuts, you can also pre-soak the other nuts overnight. Just make sure you drain them well and dry them off with kitchen paper before processing.
I really hope you get to make this! It’s really awesome.
Do let me know in the comments below how yours turned out. And do feel free to share the recipe with your friends using the social share buttons!
You will need: A food processor, high-speed blender, roughly 8” round spring-form cake tin or similar, spatula, chopping board, knife.
- Ingredients for the Cake:
- 2 medium Carrots (peeled & sliced)
- 1 cup Pecans or Hazelnuts
- 1 cup / 100g Walnuts
- 2 cups / 230g Raisins
- ½ cup / 40g Desiccated Coconut
- Finely grated rind of 1 large Orange
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- Pinch Himalayan Salt
- Ingredients for the Cashew Frosting:
- 1 ½ cups / 200g Cashews (soaked in water for at least 2 hours)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup / Brown Rice Syrup / Agave
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Juice of half to 1 Orange (to make ¼ cup of liquid)
- 80 ml / 3/8 cup melted Raw Coconut Oil
- Extra water or Orange juice if required for blending
- Garnish: grated rind of 1 large Orange
- First make the base by grinding the nuts down a little in the food processor.
- Add the rest of the cake ingredients and continue to process until you get a mixture that sticks together easily when pressed between your fingers. Be careful not to over process as the Carrot can turn watery.
- Taste your mixture as you go and add further spices to your taste.
- Transfer the cake mixture into the tin, spreading it evenly with a spatula and smoothing out firmly.
- Place this into the fridge or freezer whilst you make the frosting.
- To make the frosting, blend all the frosting ingredients together to a smooth and creamy consistency. Add in extra orange juice or a little water if the blades are sticking too much. To make blending easier, add half of the cashews to begin with and blend everything down to a paste, then add the rest of the cashews and blend again until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cashew cream on top of the Carrot Cake and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Place in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours to set before garnishing with grated Orange peel.
- Before removing the side of the tin, run a blunt knife around the edge of the cake.
This will keep nicely in a fridge for up to 4 days and you can also freeze either as a whole or in slices.